Friday, June 27, 2008

Poem Update

It's been awhile since I posted a poem of mine on the blog, so since I can't sleep tonight I figure I'll post a couple.

In the eye

The move to the city was ugly.
The water tastes like bleach.
The taxes are outrageous.
The neighbors way too close.

But every morning I awaken,
out my window I see
my son and his three daughters,
and that is beautiful to me.


Meu Redentor

I lived in that city.
I survived the murder,
the drugs, the rape.

But even with it's criminal ugliness,
it is breathtaking when seen
from where Christ stands.

Ode to the Miller

I've been told I look like the Miller,
short, round, somewhat balding.
I take it as a compliment, because I
am, short, round, somewhat balding.

So I read his tale. Seemed simple enough.
A girl, a guy, the girl's old husband,
the priest down the lane that likes to kiss
peoples "ers".

I like it enough to read it to my wife,
who, like every other time I read something to her,
gave a whimper. No laughter, no smile.
A whimper of disgust? A whimper that really said,
'Honey, I love you but stop reading to me'?

or was it a whimper of pain?

If only life were as simple as
the Miller's tale.


I think thats enough for today. Don't want to burn you guys out all at once.

Lance

0 comments: