Friday, March 14, 2008

we are married, that we may lighten our own hearts

Reading Shakespeare's Much Ado about Nothing lead me to write this poem. Enjoy.


Laundry Day

My wife does the laundry, mostly.
In the Winter though, she feels
that since I have no access to
my community of book lovers
in the next city,
that I should update my task list
and do laundry,
every Wednesday,
from 11 to 3.

A leadoff of permanent press,
enters the washer at 11:01,
a pretty common load,
then lounges in the washer from 11:46
until they enter the drier at 12:34.

I then search for Levi's and primary colors,
hard to tell the red from the green,
so I just shoot my arm in the basket
and pray.

They go in at 12:38.

And then get buzzed to the drier
at 2:57.

So she has to give me credit,
for doing the laundry in Winter,
every Wednesday,
from 11 to 3.

1 comments:

Jason & Makenna said...

Much Ado About Nothing is one of my favorites! I bought the movie soon after seeing it. The Hamlet movie with Kenneth Branagh was also quite fabulous. He was meant to do Shakespeare. I agree that anyone who hasn't read Shakespeare really is missing out. His work is really wonderful.